Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 8. Business and Professions
- Chapter 29. Licensed Professional Counselors
- Section 110. Qualifications For Licensure.
previous: Section 100
. Unlicensed Use of Title Prohibited.
next: Section 120
. Licensure By Credential.
AS 08.29.110. Qualifications For Licensure.
- (a) The board shall issue a professional counselor license to a person who applies for the license, submits the required
fee, submits two letters of recommendation from professional counselors who are familiar with the applicant's practice
of professional counseling, and presents evidence satisfactory to the board that the person
- (1) is at least 18 years of age;
- (2) is not under investigation in this or another jurisdiction for an act that would constitute a violation of this
- (3) has not had a license related to the practice of counseling, psychology, marital and family therapy, or social work in
this or another jurisdiction suspended, revoked, or surrendered in lieu of discipline unless the license has been fully
reinstated in that jurisdiction;
- (4) has passed a written examination as required by the board; the board may provide that passing a nationally recognized
examination for professional counselors is sufficient to meet the examination requirement of this paragraph;
- (5) has successfully completed either
- (A) an earned doctoral degree in counseling or a related professional field from a regionally or nationally accredited
institution of higher education approved by the board; or
- (B) an earned master's degree in counseling or a related professional field, from a regionally or nationally accredited
institution of higher education approved by the board, and at least 60 graduate semester hours in counseling during or
after earning the master's degree; and
- (6) has, after earning the degree required under either (5)(A) or (B) of this subsection, had at least 3,000 hours of
supervised experience in the practice of professional counseling performed over a period of at least two years under
the supervision of a supervisor approved under AS 08.29.210
, with at least 1,000 hours of direct counseling with individuals, couples, families, or groups and at least 100 hours
of face-to-face supervision by a supervisor approved under AS 08.29.210
unless, under regulations of the board, the board allows the supervision to be by telephonic or electronic means
because of the remote location of the counselor.
- (b) The board may, in its regulations, specify the areas of study that must be covered in order to meet the educational
requirements of (a) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.