Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 48. Regulation of Postsecondary Educational Institutions
- Section 160. Enforceability of Notes and Contracts; Student Loans.
previous: Section 150
. Preservation of Records.
next: Section 165
. Immunization of Postsecondary Students.
AS 14.48.160. Enforceability of Notes and Contracts; Student Loans.
- (a) If a person to whom educational services are to be furnished by a postsecondary educational institution is a resident
of this state at the time a contract relating to payment for the services, or a note, instrument, or other evidence of
indebtedness relating to the services, is entered into, the provisions of this section govern the rights of the parties
to the contract or evidence of indebtedness. The following agreements or provisions of an agreement entered into in
connection with the contract or the giving of evidence of indebtedness are invalid:
- (1) that the law of another state shall apply;
- (2) that the maker or person liable on the contract or evidence of indebtedness consents to the jurisdiction of another
- (3) that another person is authorized to confess judgment on the contract or evidence of indebtedness;
- (4) that venue is fixed in a particular place.
- (b) No note, instrument, or other evidence of indebtedness, or contract relating to payment for education or educational
services is enforceable in the courts of this state by (1) a postsecondary educational institution operating in this
state unless the institution has authorization to operate under this chapter, or (2) a postsecondary educational
institution having an agent in this state unless the agent had an agent's permit issued under this chapter authorizing
the enrolling of or the seeking to enroll a person for educational services.
- (c) A lending agency extending credit or loaning money to a person for tuition, fees, or other charges of a postsecondary
educational institution for educational or other services or facilities to be rendered by the institution, shall
conspicuously mark "student loan" on the face of a note, instrument, or other evidence of indebtedness taken in
connection with the loan or extension of credit. If the lending agency fails to do so, it is liable for loss or damage
suffered by a subsequent assignee, transferee, or holder of the evidence of indebtedness because of the absence of the
notation. Notwithstanding the presence or absence of the notation, and notwithstanding an agreement to the contrary,
the lending agency making the loan or extending the credit, and a transferee, assignee, or holder of the evidence of
indebtedness is subject to all defenses and claims that could be asserted against the postsecondary educational
institution that was to render the services or facilities, by any party to the evidence of indebtedness or by the
person to whom the services or facilities were to be rendered, up to the amount remaining to be paid. For purposes of
this section, "lending agency" means postsecondary educational institution, or a person controlling, controlled by, or
held in common ownership with, a postsecondary educational institution, or regularly loaning money to, or to students
of, a postsecondary educational institution.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.