- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 25. State Personnel Act
- Section 110. Exempt Service.
previous: Section 100
. Classified Service.
next: Section 120
. Partially Exempt Service.
AS 39.25.110. Exempt Service.
Unless otherwise provided by law, the following positions in the state service constitute the exempt service and are
exempt from the provisions of this chapter and the rules adopted under it:
- (1) persons elected to public office by popular vote or appointed to fill vacancies in elected offices;
- (2) justices, judges, magistrates, and employees of the judicial branch including employees of the judicial council;
- (3) employees of the state legislature and its agencies;
- (4) the head of each principal department in the executive branch;
- (5) officers and employees of the University of Alaska;
- (6) certificated teachers and noncertificated employees employed by a regional educational attendance area established and
organized under AS 14.08.031 - 14.08.041 to teach in, administer, or operate schools
under the control of a regional educational attendance area school board;
- (7) certificated teachers employed by the Department of Education and Early Development as correspondence teachers,
teachers in skill centers operated by the Department of Education and Early Development or by the Department of Labor
and Workforce Development, or in Mt. Edgecumbe School;
- (8) patients and inmates employed in state institutions;
- (9) persons employed in a professional capacity to make a temporary or special inquiry, study or examination as authorized
by the governor;
- (10) members of boards, commissions, or authorities;
- (11) the officers and employees of the following boards, commissions, and authorities:
- (A) [Repealed, Sec. 13 ch 43 SLA 1994].
- (B) Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation;
- (C) Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority;
- (D) Alaska Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission;
- (E) Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education;
- (F) Alaska Aerospace Development Corporation;
- (G) Alaska Natural Gas Development Authority;
- (12) the executive secretary and legal counsel of the Alaska Municipal Bond Bank Authority;
- (13) the state medical examiner, deputy medical examiner, and assistant medical examiners appointed under AS 12.65.015
and pharmacists and physicians licensed to practice in this state and employed by the Department of Health and Social Services or by the Department of Corrections;
- (14) petroleum engineers and petroleum geologists employed in a professional capacity by the Department of Natural
Resources and by the Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, except for those employed in the division of geological and
geophysical surveys in the Department of Natural Resources;
- (15) [Repealed, Sec. 1 ch 32 SLA 1999].
- (16) persons employed by the division of marine transportation as masters and members of the crews of vessels who operate
the state ferry system and who are covered by a collective bargaining agreement provided in AS 23.40.040
- (17) officers and employees of the state who reside in foreign countries;
- (18) employees of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute;
- (19) emergency fire-fighting personnel employed by the Department of Natural Resources for a fire emergency or for fire
prevention and related activities conducted under AS 41.15.030
- (20) employees of the Office of the Governor and the office of the lieutenant governor, including the staff of the
- (21) [Repealed, Sec. 47 ch 99 SLA 2004].
- (22) youth employed by the Department of Natural Resources under the Youth Employment and Student Intern programs;
- (23) [Repealed, Sec. 6 ch 28 SLA 2003].
- (24) students employed by the state institutions in which the students are enrolled;
- (25) [Repealed, Sec. 8 ch 2 SLA 2004].
- (26) investment officers in the Department of Revenue;
- (27) [Repealed, Sec. 10 ch 29 SLA 1999].
- (28) persons engaged in employment or pre-employment training programs operated by the Department of Military and Veterans'
- (29) [Repealed, Sec. 9 ch 115 SLA 1989].
- (30) a person employed as an actuary or assistant actuary by the division of insurance in the Department of Commerce,
Community, and Economic Development;
- (31) [Repealed, Sec. 91 ch 163 SLA 2004].
- (32) a participant in the Alaska temporary assistance program under AS 47.27 who holds a temporary position with the state in order to
obtain job training or experience;
- (33) a person employed as a convener under AS 44.62.730
or as a facilitator under AS 44.62.760
related to a negotiated regulation making process under AS 44.62.710
- (34) the chief executive officer and employees of the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority employed under AS 47.30.026
- (35) the assistant adjutant general for space and missile defense appointed under AS 26.05.185
- (36) the victims' advocate established under AS 24.65.010
and the advocate's staff;
- (37) employees of the Alaska mental health trust land unit established under AS 44.37.050
- (38) the executive director and staff of the Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault established under AS 18.66.010
- (39) the executive director and employees of the Knik Arm Bridge and Toll Authority under AS 19.75.051
- (40) the chair of the Workers' Compensation Appeals Commission (AS 23.30.007);
- (41) the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act coordinator appointed under AS 43.90.250;
- (42) oil and gas audit masters employed in a professional capacity by the Department of Revenue and the
Department of Natural Resources to collect oil and gas revenue by developing policy, conducting studies, drafting proposed regulations,
enforcing regulations, and directing audits by oil and gas revenue auditors.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.