Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 31. Asbestos
- Section 20. Duties of the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
previous: Section 10
. Program Established.
next: Section 30
. Duties of the Department of Education and Early Development.
AS 18.31.020. Duties of the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
In order to abate asbestos health hazards from public schools and from the University of Alaska, the Department of
Labor and Workforce Development shall
- (1) in a school district or regional educational attendance area that has not complied with Environmental Protection
Agency asbestos regulations (40 C.F.R. Part 763), inspect school buildings to determine the presence of asbestos, take
samples as needed, answer inquiries on the subject, ensure quality control of asbestos sampling, or enter into
contracts for these purposes;
- (2) distribute, retrieve, and store training materials concerning inspection and sampling for asbestos;
- (3) establish guidelines, in conformity with Environmental Protection Agency asbestos regulations (40 C.F.R. Part 763),
for abating asbestos health hazards, for inspecting and collecting samples of suspected asbestos, and for analyzing the
- (4) evaluate analysis results and distribute the results to affected schools;
- (5) coordinate efforts by state departments and agencies and by school officials to identify and abate asbestos health
- (6) cooperate with the Department of Education and Early Development to administer state money appropriated for the
asbestos health hazard abatement program;
- (7) establish classifications of asbestos health hazards according to the severity of the hazard and determine on the
basis of those classifications the order in which abatement projects should proceed;
- (8) review and approve all asbestos health hazard abatement projects relating to respirator use and employee training,
including training materials;
- (9) oversee an employee certification program;
- (10) establish guidelines and procedures to prevent damage to asbestos products in daily operations;
- (11) whenever the department is informed of scheduled work to abate an asbestos health hazard, inform the contractors and
other concerned persons of the health hazards of asbestos;
- (12) assist the University of Alaska in its efforts to abate asbestos health hazards; and
- (13) adopt regulations necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.