Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 40. The University of Alaska, the Community Colleges, and the Alaska Aerospace Development Corporation
- Section 85. Establishment of Alaska State Climate Center.
previous: Section 80
. Establishment of Institute of Marine Sciences.
next: Section 87
. Alaska Center For International Business. [Repealed, Sec. 3 Ch 43 SLA 1987].
AS 14.40.085. Establishment of Alaska State Climate Center.
- (a) The University of Alaska shall establish an Alaska State Climate Center within an appropriate unit of the university.
The administration and management of the center is under the direction of a university employee designated the "state
- (b) The Alaska State Climate Center shall
- (1) prepare and update on a biennial basis a plan for the systematic acquisition and dissemination of climate-related
information; the plan must include
- (A) an assessment of weather and climate information needs in Alaska;
- (B) a reasonable basis for setting priorities among these needs; and
- (C) a program for coordinating the activities of all available sources of weather- and climate-related information sources
in order to meet the highest priority needs and to carry out the provisions of this section;
- (2) establish a state climate planning advisory group composed of at least three members from organizations that provide
climate-related information, and at least three members from organizations that use climate-related information on a
regular basis or from the general public;
- (3) solicit and consider the advice and recommendations of the state climate planning advisory group in preparing and
updating the biennial plan for acquisition and dissemination of climate-related information;
- (4) operate and maintain a central repository and archive for reports, books, maps, and other records, and publications
relating to weather and climatological information;
- (5) provide for public access to weather and climatological information and technical advisory services; and
- (6) enter into cooperative agreements, on behalf of the state and the university, in order to achieve intergovernmental
climate program participation by the United States and the state; these agreements must be consistent with the
provisions of 15 U.S.C. 2901 - 2908 (National Climate Program Act).
- (c) The Alaska State Climate Center may
- (1) investigate, describe, and interpret the characteristics of the weather and climate of the state, including their
hazards and limitations;
- (2) coordinate with state and federal agencies in matters concerning weather data acquisition, collection, integration,
- (3) monitor federal weather-related activities to assure that the interests of the state are being served;
- (4) conduct research activities on the availability of solar, wind, and water resources that assess the impact of climate
fluctuations on these resources;
- (5) publish bulletins, circulars, maps, or reports of the results of all research and investigations undertaken by the
climate center, and distribute them to state agencies, government officials, industry, and the public;
- (6) provide lectures, talks, displays, and exhibits on the climate of the state for the general education of the public;
- (7) enter into cooperative arrangements with local, state, and federal government agencies; foundations; universities;
businesses; and other organizations engaged in climate-related research and services.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.