Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 40. The University of Alaska, the Community Colleges, and the Alaska Aerospace Development Corporation
- Section 75. Establishment of Alaska Earthquake and Volcanic Hazards Assessment Project.
previous: Section 70
. Collection of Fossil Remains Authorized.
next: Section 80
. Establishment of Institute of Marine Sciences.
AS 14.40.075. Establishment of Alaska Earthquake and Volcanic Hazards Assessment Project.
- (a) The University of Alaska shall establish an Alaska Earthquake and Volcano Hazards Assessment Project within the
seismology program of the geophysical institute. The project shall
- (1) collect, record, process, and archive seismic data on earthquakes and volcanic eruptions in the state;
- (2) conduct seismological studies relating to earthquake and volcano hazards assessment;
- (3) evaluate earthquake and volcanic seismic data to assist in the identification and assessment of earthquake and
volcanic hazards that may pose a significant risk to lives and property in the state;
- (4) inform public officials, industry, and private citizens of potential earthquake or volcanic risks and assist in
planning to reduce risks to lives and property; and
- (5) coordinate its activities with other organizations and agencies that monitor, collect, assess, and conduct research on
earthquake and volcano hazards in order to avoid duplication of effort.
- (b) The administration and management of the project are under a university employee designated the state seismologist.
The state seismologist shall provide timely information concerning earthquake and volcano hazards to public officials,
industry, and private citizens and serve as liaison to state and federal agencies in the event of emergencies due to
seismic and volcanic activities.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.