Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 8. Business and Professions
- Chapter 48. Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors
- Section 341. Definitions.
previous: Section 340
. [Repealed, Sec. 1 Ch 179 SLA 1972].
next: Section 350
. [Repealed, Sec. 1 Ch 179 SLA 1972].
AS 08.48.341. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "architect" means a professional architect;
- (2) "board" means the State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors;
- (3) "building" means a structure used or intended for human occupancy;
- (4) "certificate of authorization" means a certificate issued by the board authorizing a corporation, a limited liability
company, or a limited liability partnership to provide professional services in architecture, engineering, land
surveying, or landscape architecture through individuals legally registered by the board;
- (5) "certificate of registration" means a certificate issued by the board recognizing the individual named in the
certificate as meeting the requirements for registration under this chapter;
- (6) "engineer" means a professional engineer;
- (7) "land surveyor" means a professional land surveyor;
- (8) "landscape architect" means a professional landscape architect;
- (9) "limited liability company" means an organization organized under AS 10.50 or a foreign limited liability company; in this paragraph,
"foreign limited liability company" has the meaning given in AS 10.50.990;
- (10) "limited liability partnership" means an organization registered under AS 32.05.415
or a foreign limited liability partnership; in this paragraph, "foreign limited liability partnership" has the meaning
given in AS 32.05.990
- (11) "practice of architecture" means professional service or creative work in the design of buildings, the teaching of
advanced architectural courses in institutions of higher learning, consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning,
design, and professional observation of construction of public or private buildings, works, or projects, and
architectural review of drawings and specifications by regulatory agencies; "practice of architecture" may by
regulation of the board include mechanical, electrical, or structural design of minor importance;
- (12) "practice of engineering" means professional service or creative work, the adequate performance of which requires the
specialized knowledge of applied mathematics and sciences, dealing with the design of structures, machines,
equipment, utilities systems, materials, processes, works, or projects, public or private; the teaching of advanced
engineering courses in institutions of higher learning; the direction of or the performance of engineering surveys,
consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, and professional observation of construction of public and private
structures, works, or projects and engineering review of drawings and specifications by regulatory agencies; "practice
of engineering" may by regulation of the board include architectural building design of minor importance, but it does
not include comprehensive architectural services;
- (13) "practice of land surveying" means the teaching of land surveying courses at an institution of higher learning, or any
service or work the adequate performance of which involves the application of special knowledge of the principles of
mathematics, the related physical and applied sciences, and the relevant requirements of law for adequate evidence of
the act of measuring and locating land, geodetic and cadastral surveys for the location and monumentation of property
boundaries, for the platting and planning of land and subdivisions of land, including the topography, alignment, and
grades for streets, and for the preparation and perpetuation of maps, record plats, field note records, and property
descriptions that represent these surveys;
- (14) "practice of landscape architecture" means professional services or creative work in site investigation,
reconnaissance, research, planning, design, and preparation services related to drawings and construction documents,
observation of construction, and location, arrangement, and design of incidental and necessary tangible objects and
features for the purpose of
- (A) preservation and enhancement of land uses and natural land features;
- (B) location and construction of aesthetically pleasing and functional approaches for structures, roadways, and walkways;
- (C) establishing or maintaining trails, plantings, landscape irrigation, landscape lighting, and landscape grading; or
- (D) generalized planning of the development of land areas in a manner that is sensitive to the area's natural and cultural
- (15) "professional architect" means a person who has been legally registered as a professional architect by the board;
- (16) "professional engineer" means a person who has been legally registered as a professional engineer by the board;
- (17) "professional land surveyor" means a person who has been legally registered as a professional land surveyor by the
- (18) "professional landscape architect" means a person registered as a professional landscape architect by the board;
- (19) "responsible charge" means the direct control and personal supervision of work;
- (20) "structure" means a system of materials and components that resists horizontal and vertical loads.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.