Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 6. Banks and Financial Institutions
- Chapter 5. Alaska Banking Code
- Section 555. Certificate of Authority For Interstate State Bank and International Bank Branching.
previous: Section 550
. Authority of International Bank, Interstate State Bank, or Interstate National Bank to Branch.
next: Section 557
. Notice Filing For Interstate National Banks.
AS 06.05.555. Certificate of Authority For Interstate State Bank and International Bank Branching.
- (a) Before acquiring a branch bank under AS 06.05.550
(a) or establishing a branch bank under AS 06.05.550
(b), an interstate state bank or international bank shall file an application with the department for and receive a
certificate of authority to operate a branch bank. The application must include
- (1) all information and fees required under AS 06.05.399
- (2) the name of the bank and the address of its principal office;
- (3) if an international bank, the country under whose laws it is organized;
- (4) the amount of the bank's capital actually paid in cash and the amount subscribed for and unpaid;
- (5) a complete and detailed statement of the bank's financial condition;
- (6) the names of all other states and countries in which the bank is admitted or qualified to do business;
- (7) a copy of the bank's charter, articles of incorporation, and bylaws, as applicable;
- (8) if an international bank, evidence satisfactory to the department that the bank is authorized to conduct a banking
business under the laws of the country of its organization, and the nature of the bank's business;
- (9) a properly executed designation of the department as the bank's agent for service of process in an action or
proceeding arising out of a transaction involving the branch bank; the designation must include the name and address of
the officer, agent, or other person to whom the department is to forward the process; and
- (10) other information necessary or appropriate for the department to determine whether the bank is entitled to a
certificate of authority from the department.
- (b) The department shall notify the interstate state bank or international bank of its action on the application. If the
application and the accompanying documents do not comply with the requirements of (a) of this section, the department
shall return them with an explanation of the noncompliance. If the department does not respond within 30 days of its
receipt of the application, the application is considered to be accepted.
- (c) The interstate state bank or international bank shall publish notice of the application in the manner provided in AS
(d) - (e). The notice must state the proposed location of the branch bank.
- (d) Upon acceptance of the application, the department shall conduct an investigation to determine that
- (1) if an interstate state bank,
- (A) the laws of the home state of the bank authorize a state bank of this state to acquire a branch bank in the home state
without conditions or restrictions on the operations of the branch bank; and
- (B) the bank supervisor of the home state of the bank has agreed to provide to the department the examination reports that
the department determines sufficient to permit the department to determine on a current basis the financial condition
of the bank;
- (2) the proposal is consistent with a sound and competitive banking system;
- (3) the capital structure of the bank is adequate in relation to the anticipated business and costs of operating the
- (4) the name of the bank is not deceptively similar to the name of another branch bank or state bank and is not otherwise
- (5) the other requirements of this chapter have been met.
- (e) Not later than 150 days after the department accepts an application by an interstate state bank or international bank
for a certificate of authority to operate a branch bank, the department shall make a determination whether to approve
the application. Within 30 days after the second publication of the notice referred to in (c) of this section, a person
opposing the pending application may file written objections with the department. When it approves or denies the
application, the department shall notify the bank and any other person who requested in writing to be notified, and, if
the application is denied, the department shall state the reasons for its decision.
- (f) The department shall issue a certificate of authority to an interstate state bank or international bank to operate a
branch bank if
- (1) the conditions imposed by the department in granting the certificate have been fulfilled; and
- (2) the requirements of this chapter are satisfied.
- (g) If the rights conferred by a certificate of authority issued under this section are not exercised within one year from
the date of the issuance of the certificate under this section, the certificate lapses.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.