Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 6. Banks and Financial Institutions
- Chapter 5. Alaska Banking Code
- Section 344. Application For Approval of State Bank.
previous: Section 342
. Subscriptions For Shares.
next: Section 345
. Articles of Incorporation.
AS 06.05.344. Application For Approval of State Bank.
- (a) Before the department issues a certificate of incorporation under AS 10.06.910
for a state bank, the incorporators of a proposed state bank shall obtain the approval of the department. In applying
for the approval, the incorporators shall file with the department
- (1) an application in the form and containing the information the department requires, including
- (A) for each incorporator and proposed director, and for each preincorporation subscriber of more than five percent of the
capital stock, any past and present connection with a bank other than as a customer on terms generally available to the
- (B) the name, residence, and occupation of each preincorporation subscriber and the number of shares subscribed for by the
- (C) the address of the proposed place of business of the bank or, if an address is not available, a legal description of
the proposed place of business; and
- (2) the proposed articles of incorporation; and
- (3) all applicable fees, payable to the department, for the filing.
- (b) Investigation expenses incurred by the department in processing an application for approval of a proposed bank shall
be charged to and paid by the applicant under AS 06.01.010
. When submitting the application to the department, the applicant shall pay to the department $2,000 in partial
payment of the investigation expenses incurred by the department. If the investigation expenses incurred by the
department are less than $2,000, the department shall promptly refund the excess to the applicant.
- (c) The department shall notify the incorporators of its decision whether to accept an application for a proposed state
bank. If the application and accompanying documents required by (a) of this section do not conform to the requirements
of this chapter and the regulations adopted under this chapter, the department shall return the documents with an
explanation of the defects. If the department does not act within 30 days of receipt of the application, the
application is considered to be accepted. Acceptance of the application does not constitute approval.
- (d) The incorporators shall publish notice of the department's acceptance of the application for a proposed state bank and
acceptance of the articles of incorporation once each week for two successive weeks in a newspaper of general
circulation published in the community proposed as the bank's principal place of business. If there is no newspaper of
general circulation in the community, the notice shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation near the
community. The first publication of the notice must appear within 15 days after the application and articles of
incorporation have been accepted by the department. The notice must state
- (1) the name of the proposed state bank;
- (2) that the proposed bank is to be incorporated under this chapter and AS 10.06;
- (3) the purpose of the proposed bank; and
- (4) the names and addresses of the incorporators and the initial board of directors as the names and addresses appear in
the articles of incorporation.
- (e) To prove that the publication required by (d) of this section was made, the incorporators shall file with the
department an affidavit of the publisher of the newspaper in which the notice was published.
- (f) Upon acceptance of an application for approval of a proposed state bank, the department shall conduct an investigation
to determine whether
- (1) the convenience and needs of the public will be served by the bank;
- (2) the population density and economic characteristics of the area primarily to be served by the bank afford reasonable
promise of adequate support for the bank;
- (3) the character and fitness of the incorporators and the members of the initial board of directors command the
confidence of the community and warrant the belief that the business of the bank will be honestly and efficiently
- (4) the proposed capital structure of the bank meets the requirements set by the department under AS 06.05.305
- (5) the bank will have personnel with adequate knowledge and experience to conduct its business and officers of good
character and financial responsibility;
- (6) the addition of the bank is not detrimental to a sound and competitive banking system; and
- (7) other relevant facts and circumstances exist that bear on the bank and its relation to the community.
- (g) The department shall approve or deny an application within six months after the application for approval has been
accepted. The time may be extended by up to six additional months when the department determines that an extension is
warranted by exceptional circumstances. Within 60 days after the second publication of the notice required by (d) of
this section, a person opposing approval of the application may file written objections with the department. When it
approves or denies the application, the department shall notify the incorporators and a person who requested in writing
to be notified, and, if the application is denied, the department shall state the reasons for its decision and return
all copies of the articles of incorporation.
- (h) If the department approves the application, the department shall endorse the approval on the articles of
incorporation, file the articles of incorporation, and issue a certificate of incorporation under AS 10.06.910
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.