Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 6. Banks and Financial Institutions
- Chapter 5. Alaska Banking Code
- Section 166. Legal Holidays and Closings.
previous: Section 165
. Optional Five-Day Week. [Repealed, Sec. 1 Ch 56 SLA 1971].
next: Section 175
. Depositor and Customer Records Confidential. [Repealed, Sec. 55 Ch 75 SLA 2002].
AS 06.05.166. Legal Holidays and Closings.
- (a) A bank organized under or doing business under the laws of the state or a national bank may remain closed on the legal
holidays described in AS 44.12.010
- 44.12.025. The bank shall post a notice of holiday
closing in the place of business affected at least seven days in advance.
- (b) If a contract by its terms requires the payment of money or the performance of a condition on a holiday allowed under
(a) of this section by or at a state or national bank, payment may be made or the condition performed on the next
succeeding business day with the same effect as if made or performed in accordance with the terms of the contract.
- (c) In an emergency, a bank may elect not to open any of its banking offices on a business or banking day or, having
opened, to close any banking office. The bank shall notify the department of the nonopening or the closing before
taking the action, if possible, and as soon as possible, in any event. Any act relating to the banking office that has
been closed for any period of time under this subsection may be performed on the next business day that the office is
open for business. No liability or loss of rights of any kind on the part of any person, firm, or corporation or of the
bank results from the nonopening or closing, and the rights of all parties are suspended during the nonopening or
- (d) In addition to legal holidays, a bank's board of directors may declare a closing of the bank on any other normal
business day, if the department authorizes the closure, the bank posts notice of the closing in the place of business
affected at least 15 days in advance, and the bank maintains all normal processing and clearing operations on the
- (e) Under (a) or (d) of this section, a bank may not be closed for more than three consecutive days.
- (f) A bank may operate a branch bank on a different schedule approved by the department if the department determines that
operation on a different schedule will provide better service or otherwise benefit the public.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.