- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 37. Uniform Alcoholism and Intoxication Treatment Act
- Section 205. Procedure For Recommitment Following 30-Day Commitment.
previous: Section 200
. Hearing On Petition For Involuntary Commitment.
next: Section 207
. Unauthorized Absences: Return Facility.
AS 47.37.205. Procedure For Recommitment Following 30-Day Commitment.
- (a) At any time during a person's 30-day commitment, the director of an approved public facility or approved private
facility may file with the court a petition for a 180-day commitment of that person. The petition must include all
material required under AS 47.37.190
(a) except that references to "30 days" shall be read as "180 days" and must allege that the person continues to be an
alcoholic or drug abuser who is incapacitated by alcohol or drugs, or who continues to be at risk of serious physical
harm or illness.
- (b) Upon the filing of a petition for recommitment under (a) of this section, the court shall fix a date for hearing no
later than 10 days after the date the petition was filed. A copy of the petition and of the notice of hearing,
including the date fixed by the court, shall be served on
- (1) the petitioner;
- (2) the person whose recommitment is sought or the person's guardian, if any;
- (3) the attorney representing the person whose recommitment is sought;
- (4) the original petitioner under AS 47.37.190
(a), if different from the petitioner for recommitment;
- (5) any other person the court considers appropriate.
- (c) If, not less than two days before the date set for a recommitment hearing under (a) of this section, the person being
recommitted or the person's counsel or advisor files a written request with the court, the court shall summon and
impanel a jury of six residents of the judicial district to hear and consider evidence concerning the condition of the
person being recommitted.
- (d) At the hearing regarding recommitment for a 180-day period, the court or jury shall proceed as provided in AS 47.37.200
(a) and (b).
- (e) The provisions of AS 47.37.200
(c) - (h) shall apply equally to periods of recommitment under this section, except that references to "30 days" shall
be read as "180 days."
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.