- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 3. Negotiable Instruments
- Section 414. Obligation of Drawer.
previous: Section 413
. Obligation of Acceptor.
next: Section 415
. Obligation of Endorser.
AS 45.03.414. Obligation of Drawer.
- (a) This section does not apply to cashier's checks or other drafts drawn on the drawer.
- (b) If an unaccepted draft is dishonored, the drawer is obliged to pay the draft according to its terms at the time it was
issued or, if not issued, at the time it first came into possession of a holder. If the drawer signed an incomplete
instrument, the drawer is obliged to pay the draft according to its terms when completed, to the extent stated in AS 45.03.115
and 45.03.407. The obligation is owed to a person
entitled to enforce the draft or to an endorser who paid the draft under AS 45.03.415
- (c) If a draft is accepted by a bank, the drawer is discharged, regardless of when or by whom acceptance was obtained.
- (d) If a draft is accepted and the acceptor is not a bank, the obligation of the drawer to pay the draft, if the draft is
dishonored by the acceptor, is the same as the obligation of an endorser under AS 45.03.415(a) and (c).
- (e) If a draft states that it is drawn "without recourse" or otherwise disclaims liability of the drawer to pay the draft,
the drawer is not liable under (b) of this section to pay the draft if the draft is not a check. A disclaimer of the
liability stated in (b) of this section is not effective if the draft is a check.
- (f) If a check is not presented for payment or given to a depositary bank for collection within 30 days after its date and
the drawee suspends payments after expiration of the 30-day period without paying the check and, because of the
suspension of payments, the drawer is deprived of funds maintained with the drawee to cover payment of the check, the
drawer to the extent deprived of funds may discharge its obligation to pay the check by assigning to the person
entitled to enforce the check the rights of the drawer against the drawee with respect to the funds.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.