- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 3. Negotiable Instruments
- Section 303. Value and Consideration.
previous: Section 302
. Holder in Due Course.
next: Section 304
. Overdue Instrument.
AS 45.03.303. Value and Consideration.
- (a) An instrument is issued or transferred for value if
- (1) the instrument is issued or transferred for a promise of performance, to the extent the promise has been performed;
- (2) the transferee acquires a security interest or other lien in the instrument other than a lien obtained by judicial
- (3) the instrument is issued or transferred as payment of, or as security for, an antecedent claim against a person,
whether or not the claim is due;
- (4) the instrument is issued or transferred in exchange for a negotiable instrument; or
- (5) the instrument is issued or transferred in exchange for the incurring of an irrevocable obligation to a third party by
the person taking the instrument.
- (b) "Consideration" means any consideration sufficient to support a simple contract. The drawer or maker of an instrument
has a defense if the instrument is issued without consideration. If an instrument is issued for a promise of
performance, the issuer has a defense to the extent performance of the promise is due and the promise has not been
performed. If an instrument is issued for value as stated in (a) of this section, the instrument is also issued for
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.