- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 8. Assistance For Catastrophic Illness and Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions
- Section 150. Assistance For Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions.
previous: Section 140
next: Chapter 10
. Children in Need of Aid
AS 47.08.150. Assistance For Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions.
- (a) Under the provisions of this section, the Department of Health and Social Services may pay providers of medical care
for services described in (c) of this section that are provided to needy persons suffering from a chronic or acute
medical condition who may apply for assistance under (b) of this section.
- (b) A needy person suffering from a chronic or an acute medical condition who is eligible for general relief assistance
under AS 47.25.120 and is not eligible for the medical
assistance program under AS 47.07 may apply for assistance under
this section. The department shall make a determination of eligibility based on a general relief assistance
application. The requirements of AS 47.08.020
- 47.08.140 do not apply to assistance sought under
this section, except that, notwithstanding (c) of this section, neither reimbursement nor assistance may be paid by the
department for services that are listed in AS 47.08.050
as those services are defined in AS 47.08.140
- (c) The services eligible for payment under this section for a needy person with a chronic or acute medical condition are
- (1) prescription drugs and medical supplies prescribed to treat a person who has
- (A) a terminal illness;
- (B) cancer and requires chemotherapy; or
- (C) a chronic condition that would normally, in its untreated course, result in the death or disability of the recipient,
but that is amenable to outpatient medication; the chronic conditions for which the cost of prescription drugs may be
paid include the following diagnoses:
- (i) diabetes and diabetes insipidus;
- (ii) seizure disorders;
- (iii) chronic mental illness;
- (iv) hypertension;
- (2) physician services
- (A) related to care under (3) of this subsection;
- (B) provided in a hospital emergency room the same day on which the recipient is admitted for care under (3) of this
- (C) provided to a recipient residing in a nursing home; or
- (D) provided in either an outpatient or an inpatient setting to a recipient with a diagnosis described in (1) of this
- (3) inpatient hospital services that cannot be performed on an outpatient basis and that are certified as necessary by a
professional review organization consulted by the Department of Health and Social Services but not including inpatient
psychiatric hospital services;
- (4) outpatient laboratory and x-ray services;
- (5) medical transportation related to care under (3) of this subsection or nursing facility care;
- (6) outpatient surgical services;
- (7) nursing facility care.
- (d) The payment rate for facilities under this section shall be the same as that established by regulation for medical
services under AS 47.25.195, and payment rates under
this section for other providers may not exceed those established under AS 47.07.
- (e) The Department of Health and Social Services may limit the amount, duration, and scope of services covered under this
section by regulation. If the Department of Health and Social Services finds that the cost of assistance for all
persons eligible under this section will exceed the amount allocated for that assistance during the fiscal year, the
Department of Health and Social Services may limit coverage for certain medical services by regulation in order to
provide the most critical care within the available appropriations.
- (f) The Department of Health and Social Services may adopt regulations to implement this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.