- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 41. Public Resources
- Chapter 23. Multiple Use Management of Public Resources
- Section 440. Management Plan.
previous: Section 430
. Advisory Board.
next: Section 450
. Management of Municipal Land.
AS 41.23.440. Management Plan.
- (a) The commissioner, in consultation with representatives of affected municipalities, shall prepare and adopt and may
revise a management plan for each of the six recreation rivers and their recreation river corridors. In preparing or
revising the plan, the commissioner and each affected municipality shall consult with the public and state agencies,
including the commissioner of fish and game and the advisory board established under AS 41.23.430
. In preparation or revision of the plan, the commissioner shall comply with the notice requirements of AS 38.05.945 and provide written notice by first-class mail
to private property owners in the recreation river corridors and shall hold at least two public hearings in
municipalities and communities near the recreation river and the recreation river corridor. The management plan shall
establish long-range guidelines and management practices consistent with AS 41.23.400
- (1) establish guidelines and restrictions, if necessary, for an activity occurring under AS 41.23.410
to implement the purposes of AS 41.23.400;
- (2) protect, maintain, or enhance the fish and wildlife habitat and the free-flowing nature of the river;
- (3) identify special recreation values and manage the level of intensity and types of recreation uses;
- (4) designate management guidelines for development activities;
- (5) designate management guidelines for commercial recreation activities or development, including recreation services;
- (6) provide for necessary public services, such as transportation and utility corridors, crossing or fording corridors,
public safety, and law enforcement;
- (7) allow reasonable access to public land and private inholdings, including municipal land that is offered for sale or
lease, and to land beyond or adjacent to the recreation river and the recreation river corridor;
- (8) establish criteria and expedient timelines to review future proposed uses for compatibility with AS 41.23.400
- (b) The commissioner shall adopt regulations necessary to implement the management plan. The commissioner may not adopt
regulations before a management plan takes effect. The commissioner may designate employees of the department as peace
officers to enforce the provisions of AS 41.23.400
- (c) A management plan proposed by the commissioner under (a) of this section shall be submitted to the legislature for
review within the first 10 days of the first regular session of the legislature to convene after completion of the plan
by the commissioner. The plan takes effect 100 days after submission of the plan to the legislature unless rejected by
an act of the legislature.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.