- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 60. Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Practices
- Section 40. Relocation Payments.
previous: Section 30
. Administration of Program.
next: Section 50
. Replacement Housing For Homeowners.
AS 34.60.040. Relocation Payments.
- (a) When the acquisition of real property for a federally assisted program or project undertaken by a state agency will
result in the displacement of a person, the state agency responsible for the program or project shall make payment to
the displaced person, upon proper application as approved by the state agency, for
- (1) actual reasonable expenses in moving a person, the person's family, business, farm operation, or other personal
- (2) actual direct losses of tangible personal property as a result of moving or discontinuing a business or farm
operation, but not to exceed an amount equal to the reasonable expenses that would have been required to relocate the
property as determined by the state agency; and
- (3) actual reasonable expenses in searching for a replacement business or farm.
- (b) A displaced person eligible for payments under (a) of this section who is displaced from a dwelling and who elects to
accept the payments authorized by this subsection in place of payments authorized by (a) of this section may receive a
moving expense allowance, determined according to a schedule established by the state agency.
- (c) A displaced person eligible for payments under (a) of this section who is displaced from a place of business or from a
farm operation and who elects to accept the payment authorized by this subsection in place of the payment authorized by
(a) of this section, may receive a fixed payment in an amount equal to the average annual net earnings of the business
or farm operation, except that this payment shall not be less than $1,000 or more than $20,000. For purposes of this
subsection, "average annual net earnings" means one-half of the net earnings of the business or farm operation, before
federal and state income taxes, during the two taxable years immediately preceding the taxable year in which the
business or farm operation moves from the real property acquired for the project, or during any other period the state
agency determines to be more equitable for establishing the earnings, and includes any compensation paid by the
business or farm operation to the owner, spouse, or dependents during the applicable period. In the case of a business,
a payment may not be made under this subsection unless the state agency is satisfied that the business
- (1) cannot be relocated without a substantial loss of its existing patronage;
- (2) is not a part of a commercial enterprise having at least one other establishment not being acquired by the state
agency or by the United States, which is engaged in the same or similar business; and
- (3) is not an enterprise whose sole business on the real property acquired is the rental of the real property to others.
- (d) In addition to the moving expenses allowed under this section, a displaced farm or business may receive a payment, not
to exceed $10,000, for the actual reasonable expenses necessary to reestablish the operation at a new site.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.