Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 10. Vehicle Registration, Liens, and Title
- Section 71. Registration Records and Statistics; Stolen Vehicles.
previous: Section 70
. Taxes. [Repealed, Sec. 7 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
next: Section 80
. False Statements. [Repealed, Sec. 20 Ch 241 SLA 1976].
AS 28.10.071. Registration Records and Statistics; Stolen Vehicles.
- (a) The department shall review each application for registration received and, when satisfied that it is correct,
register the vehicle and keep a record of the registration in suitable books, index cards, or electronic or
photographic recording and storage media, or in any combination of them. The vehicles are referred to as "registered
vehicles." The department may compile a record of the number and types of vehicles registered in this state and may
make statistical data available to the public for a fee as prescribed in regulations adopted by the commissioner. The
department may also provide vehicle registration lists to the public for a fee as an electronic service or product
under AS 40.25.115
. The commissioner may prescribe, by regulation, fees relating to the provision of vehicle registration lists.
- (b) Records under this section shall be maintained
- (1) by a distinctive registration number assigned to the vehicle;
- (2) by the vehicle identification number, including but not limited to a record of identification numbers replaced or
assigned under AS 28.10.061;
- (3) by the name and residence and mailing address of the owner; and
- (4) as otherwise required by the department.
- (c) The department shall keep a record of the registrations of vehicles used in law enforcement work when secrecy is
necessary. This record is separate from the record required by (a) of this section and may be disclosed only to and
upon the request of the chief peace officer of a municipality, a state trooper district commander, the chief federal
law enforcement officer assigned to the state, or to a court upon an appropriate order.
- (d) The department shall maintain and appropriately index cumulative records of stolen, converted, recovered, and
unclaimed vehicles reported to it. The department may make and distribute weekly lists of these vehicles to peace
officers and to other departments upon their request without charge and to the public for a reasonable fee as
prescribed by the department.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.