Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 24. Legislature
- Chapter 20. Agencies of the Legislature
- Section 60. Powers.
previous: Section 55
. Information Systems.
next: Section 61
. Administrative Services For Legislature.
AS 24.20.060. Powers.
The legislative council has the power
- (1) to organize and adopt rules for the conduct of its business;
- (2) to hold public hearings, administer oaths, issue subpoenas, compel the attendance of witnesses and production of
papers, books, accounts, documents, and testimony, and to have the deposition of witnesses taken in a manner prescribed
by court rule or law for taking depositions in civil actions when consistent with the powers and duties assigned to the
council by AS 24.20.010
- (3) to call upon all state officials, agencies, and institutions to give full cooperation to the council and its executive
director by collecting and furnishing information, conducting studies, and making recommendations;
- (4) in addition to providing the administrative services required for the operation of the legislative branch,
- (A) to provide the technical staff assistance in research, reporting, drafting, and counseling requested by standing,
interim, and special committees and spot research and drafting services for individual members in conformity with law
and legislative rules;
- (B) to conduct a continuing program for the revision and publication of the acts of the legislature;
- (C) to execute a program for the oversight of the administration and construction of laws by state agencies and the courts
through regulations, opinions, and rulings;
- (D) to operate and maintain the state legislative reference library;
- (E) to do all things necessary to carry out legislative directives and law, and the duties set out in the uniform rules of
- (F) to sue in the name of the legislature during the interim between sessions if authorized by majority vote of the full
membership of the council;
- (5) to exercise control and direction over all legislative space, supplies, and equipment and permanent legislative help
between legislative sessions; the exercise of control over legislative space is subject to AS 36.30.080
(c) if the exercise involves the rent or lease of facilities, and to AS 36.30.085
if the exercise involves the acquisition of facilities by lease-purchase or lease-financing agreement;
- (6) to produce, publish, distribute, and to contract for the printing of reports, memoranda, and other materials it finds
necessary to the accomplishment of its work;
- (7) to take appropriate action for the preconvening and post-session work of each legislative session including the
employment one week in advance of each session of not more than 10 temporary legislative employees; the continuing
employment of the temporary legislative employees is subject to legislative approval when the session convenes;
- (8) to establish a legislative internship program on a cooperative basis with the University of Alaska that will provide
for the assignment of interns to standing committees of each house of the legislature during regular sessions of the
- (9) to establish reasonable fees for services and materials provided by the Legislative Affairs Agency to entities outside
of the legislative branch of state government and charges for collecting the fees; all fees and charges collected under
this paragraph shall be deposited into the general fund.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.