Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 50. Vital Statistics Act
- Section 165. Acknowledgement of Paternity; Forms.
previous: Section 162
. Notification About Hearing Screening.
next: Section 170
. Foundling Registration.
AS 18.50.165. Acknowledgement of Paternity; Forms.
- (a) The state registrar shall prepare a form for use in acknowledging paternity under AS 25.20.055
. On and after July 1, 1997, the form must comply with the minimum requirements of 42 U.S.C. 652(a)(7). The form must
- (1) a statement that the man who signs the form is acknowledging that the man is the natural father of the child named in
the form and that the man assumes the parental duty of support of that child;
- (2) the address and social security number of both parents of the child named in the form;
- (3) signature lines for both parents;
- (4) a signature line for either a witness or notary public; and
- (5) on and after July 1, 1997, a statement that
- (A) sets out the legal consequences to and the rights and responsibilities of the mother and the man acknowledging
paternity of signing the form, including
- (i) if one of the parents is a minor, any rights given due to minority status;
- (ii) legal alternatives to signing the form; and
- (iii) the legal responsibility that arises from signing the form;
- (B) the mother and the man acknowledging paternity have been notified that, unless fraud, duress, or material mistake of
fact is shown in accordance with AS 25.20.050
, the acknowledgment may only be rescinded by the earlier of the following dates:
- (i) 60 days after the date of the person's signature; or
- (ii) the date of initiation of an administrative or judicial procedure to establish support of the child in which the
person is a party; and
- (C) the mother and the man acknowledging paternity have read and understand the contents of the form.
- (b) The registrar shall distribute copies of the form prepared under (a) of this section to each hospital in the state, to
each physician in the state whose practice includes attendance at births, to each nurse-midwife and direct-entry
midwife in the state, and to each other interested person in the state who requests copies of the form.
- (c) [Repealed, Sec. 148 ch 87 SLA 1997].
- (d) The state registrar shall keep on file all forms acknowledging paternity that are submitted to the registrar under AS
- (e) An acknowledgment of paternity that met the requirements of state law at the time that the acknowledgment was made in
this state is not ineffective due to changes in the form for acknowledgment occurring after the date that the
acknowledgment was made.
- (f) An acknowledgment of paternity affidavit or form executed in another state meeting that state's legal requirements
shall be considered in this state as if the affidavit or form was executed in compliance with this section.
- (g) The registrar shall offer voluntary acknowledgment of paternity services by making available technical assistance
about the form described in this section. Upon request, the registrar shall provide oral assistance to parents wishing
to complete the form.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.