Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 57. Museums
- Section 210. Acquisition of Title to Undocumented Property.
previous: Section 200
. Acquisition of Title to Loaned Property.
next: Section 220
. Reclamation of Property.
AS 14.57.210. Acquisition of Title to Undocumented Property.
- (a) A museum may acquire title to undocumented property held by a museum for seven years or longer if
- (1) the seven-year holding period is verified by the written records of the museum;
- (2) when this paragraph is applicable, the museum has notified by mail all corporations, except nonprofit corporations,
created under 43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq. (Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act) that the undocumented property appears to be
a Native artifact, that the corporations are requested to view, identify, and catalog the property within one year
after the notification, and that the museum may take steps to acquire title to the property after the one-year
notification period and the seven-year holding period have expired without a person filing a claim with the museum that
the person is the owner of the property; in this paragraph, the periods may run concurrently; and
- (3) during the seven-year holding period, or the longer period if expanded by the application of (2) of this subsection, a
person has not filed a claim with the museum that the person is the owner of the property.
- (b) To acquire title under (a) of this section, the museum shall publish a notice at least once a week for four
consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the judicial district where the museum is located. The
notice must include
- (1) a brief and general description of the property;
- (2) the date or approximate date, if known, of the acquisition of the property by the museum;
- (3) the name, address, and telephone number of the museum representative to contact for more information or to make a
claim of ownership;
- (4) the date of the last publication of the notice under this subsection; and
- (5) a statement that the museum will acquire title to the property if a valid claim of an owner to the property is not
received by the museum within 45 days from the date of the last publication of the notice under this subsection.
- (c) The museum acquires the title to the undocumented property, subject to reclamation of the property under AS 14.57.220
, as of the 46th day after the date of the last publication of the notice under (b) of this section if the requirements
of (a) and (b) of this section are satisfied and if a valid claim of an owner to the property is not received by the
museum within 45 days after the date of the last publication of the notice under (b) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.