Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 48. Regulation of Postsecondary Educational Institutions
- Section 210. Definitions.
previous: Section 200
. Criminal Violation.
next: Chapter 50
. Federal Aid For Education
AS 14.48.210. Definitions.
In this chapter
- (1) "agent" or "agents" mean persons owning an interest in, employed by, or representing for remuneration, a postsecondary
educational institution in or outside the state who, by solicitation made in the state, enroll or seek to enroll
residents of the state for education offered by the institution, or offer to award educational credentials for
remuneration, on behalf of the institution, or who hold themselves out to residents of the state as representing a
postsecondary educational institution for any purpose;
- (2) "agent's permit" means a nontransferable written authorization issued to a natural person by the commission which
allows that person to solicit or enroll a resident of the state for education in a postsecondary educational
- (3) "authorization to operate" means approval of the commission to operate or to contract to operate a postsecondary
educational institution that provides education or grants educational credentials in the state;
- (4) "commission" means the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education;
- (5) "education," "educational program or services," "instruction," or "instructional program" includes any class, course,
or program of training, instruction, or study;
- (6) "educational credentials" means degrees, diplomas, certificates, transcripts, reports, documents, or letters of
designation, marks, appellations, series of letters, numbers, or words which signify, purport, or are generally taken
to signify enrollment, attendance, progress, or satisfactory completion of the requirements or prerequisites for
education at a postsecondary educational institution;
- (7) "owner"
- (A) means
- (i) a person having at least a 10 percent interest in the stock of a postsecondary educational institution that is a
- (ii) a partner of a postsecondary educational institution that is a partnership; or
- (iii) a person having a direct financial interest in, or title to, at least 10 percent of the assets of a postsecondary
educational institution which is neither a partnership nor a corporation;
- (B) does not include a financial institution holding a mortgage on some or all of the real property or a security interest
in some or all of the personal property of a postsecondary educational institution;
- (8) "postsecondary educational institution" means academic, vocational, technical, home study, business, professional, or
other school, college, or university offering education primarily to persons who have completed or terminated their
secondary education, or who are beyond the age of compulsory high school attendance, for attainment of educational,
professional, or vocational objectives;
- (9) "to grant" includes awarding, selling, conferring, or giving;
- (10) "to offer" includes, in addition to its usual meanings, advertising, publicizing, soliciting, or encouraging persons
directly or indirectly to perform the act described;
- (11) "to operate a postsecondary institution" means to establish or maintain a facility or location where education is
provided or postsecondary educational credentials are granted to persons in the state and includes contracting with any
person, group, or entity to operate such an educational institution.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.