Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 410. Distribution Election Termination.
previous: Section 400
. Investment of Individual Accounts.
next: Section 420
. Forms of Distribution.
AS 14.25.410. Distribution Election Termination.
- (a) A member is eligible to elect distribution of the member's account in accordance with this section 60
days after termination of employment.
- (b) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, distribution of all or a portion of the individual account of a
member may take place before the 60th day after the termination of employment with the approval of the administrator if the member
makes a written request for a distribution under this subsection. The member's spouse must consent to the request in writing if the
member is married. Distribution of an individual account may only be made on account of an immediate and heavy financial need of the
member for the following reasons and in the amount the need is demonstrated for
- (1) medical care described in 26 U.S.C. 213(d) incurred by the member, the member's spouse, or the member's
dependent, or necessary to obtain that medical care;
- (2) the purchase of a principal residence for the member;
- (3) postsecondary education tuition and related educational fees for the next 12-month period for the member,
the member's spouse, or a dependent of the member; in this paragraph, "dependent" has the meaning given in 26 U.S.C. 152;
- (4) prevention of the eviction of the member from the member's principal residence or foreclosure on the mortgage
of the member's principal residence; or
- (5) any need prescribed by the United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, in a revenue
ruling, notice, or other document of general applicability that satisfies the safe harbor definition of hardship under regulations
adopted under 26 U.S.C. 401(k).
- (c) If a member dies before benefits commence, the member's beneficiary is immediately eligible to elect
distribution of the member's share of the member's individual account.
- (d) Distributions are payable to an alternate payee in accordance with the terms and conditions of a qualified
domestic relations order that is received and approved by the administrator as specified in AS 14.25.460 .
- (e) Distributions that are being paid to a member may not be affected by the member's subsequent reemployment with
the employer. Upon reemployment, a new individual account shall be established for the member to which any future contributions shall be
allocated. Upon subsequent termination of employment, the member's new individual account shall be distributed in accordance with this
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.