Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 200. Exemption From Taxation and Process.
previous: Section 195
. Special Rules For Treatment of Qualified Military Service.
next: Section 205
. Time Limit For Application.
AS 14.25.200. Exemption From Taxation and Process.
- (a) Except as provided in AS 29.45.030
(a)(1) or in (c) of this section, member contributions and other amounts held in the plan on behalf of a member or
other person who is or may become eligible for benefits under the plan are exempt from Alaska state and municipal
taxes and are not subject to anticipation, alienation, sale, transfer, assignment, pledge, encumbrance, or charge of
any kind, either voluntary or involuntary, before they are received by the person entitled to the amount under the
terms of the plan. Any attempt to anticipate, alienate, sell, transfer, assign, pledge, encumber, charge, or
otherwise dispose of any right to amounts accrued in the plan is void. However, a member's right to receive benefits
or the member contribution account may be assigned
- (1) under a qualified domestic relations order;
- (2) to a trust or similar legal device that meets the requirements for a Medicaid-qualifying trust under AS 47.07.020
(f) and 42 U.S.C. 1396p(d)(4); or
- (3) as provided in (c) of this section.
- (b) Member contributions and other amounts held in the plan and benefits payable under AS 14.25.009 - 14.25.220 are exempt from
garnishment, execution, or levy as provided in AS 09.38
- (c) An inactive member may elect to have the taxable portion of the member contribution account transferred directly to
another plan or an individual retirement arrangement that is qualified under the federal Internal Revenue Code and that
accepts the transfer.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.