Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 160. Death Benefits.
previous: Section 157
. Occupational Death Benefits.
next: Section 162
. Survivor's Allowance.
AS 14.25.160. Death Benefits.
- (a) A death benefit shall be paid and any supplemental contributions shall be refunded to the designated beneficiary, upon
receipt of a valid claim and proof of the death of a member who
- (1) is not retired and is not eligible for benefits under AS 14.25.162 or 14.25.164; and
- (2) either
- (A) has made supplemental contributions under AS 14.25.055
since the date one year immediately preceding the member's death or since July 1, 1983, whichever is later; or
- (B) is making supplemental contributions under AS 14.25.055
but has made them for less than one year.
- (b) Upon the death of an active member who meets the conditions specified in (a) of this section, the amount of the death
benefit is the sum of the following less any retirement benefit previously received by the member:
- (1) the member contribution account;
- (2) $100 times the years of membership service;
- (3) $1,000; and
- (4) $500 if the deceased member is survived by one or more dependent children at the time of death and if the designated
beneficiary is a dependent child of the member or is the parent or guardian of the dependent child of the member.
- (c) If the sum of (b)(2) and (3) of this section exceeds $3,000, only $3,000 may be added to amounts under (b)(1) and (4)
in calculating the death benefit under (b) of this section.
- (d) Upon the death of an inactive member who meets the conditions specified in (a) of this section, the death benefit is
the amount determined in (b)(1) of this section.
- (e) Upon the death of a disabled member who is not eligible for normal retirement and who meets the conditions specified
in (a) of this section, the death benefit is the amount determined in (b) of this section.
- (f) Upon the death of a retired member who meets the conditions specified in (a) of this section, the death benefit is the
amount determined in (b)(1) of this section less all retirement benefits paid to the deceased member.
- (g) If supplemental contributions have been made under AS 14.25.055
, benefits may be payable under AS 14.25.162
or 14.25.164 if the deceased member meets the
eligibility requirements of one of those sections.
- (h) Payment made to a beneficiary under this section is in place of any other benefit under AS 14.25.009 - 14.25.220.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.