Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 14. Local Administration of Schools
- Section 90. Duties of School Boards.
previous: Section 80
. Declaring a School Board Vacancy.
next: Section 100
. Bylaws and Administrative Rules.
AS 14.14.090. Duties of School Boards.
In addition to other duties, a school board shall
- (1) determine and disburse the total amount to be made available for compensation of all school employees and
- (2) provide for, during the school term of each year, an educational program for each school age child who is enrolled in
or a resident of the district;
- (3) withhold the salary for the last month of service of a teacher or administrator until the teacher or administrator has
submitted all summaries, statistics, and reports that the school board may require by bylaws;
- (4) transmit, when required by the assembly or council but not more often than once a month, a summary report and
statement of money expended;
- (5) keep the minutes of meetings and a record of all proceedings of the school board in a pertinent form;
- (6) keep the records and files of the school board open to inspection by the public at the principal administrative office
of the district during reasonable business hours;
- (7) establish procedures for the review and selection of all textbooks and instructional materials, including textbooks
and curriculum materials for statewide correspondence programs, before they are introduced into the school curriculum;
the review includes a review for violations of AS 14.18.060
; nothing in this paragraph precludes a correspondence study student, or the parent or guardian of a correspondence
study student, from privately obtaining or using textbooks or curriculum material not provided by the school district;
- (8) provide prospective employees with information relating to the availability and cost of housing in rural areas to
which they might be assigned, and, when possible, assist them in locating housing; however, nothing in this paragraph
requires a school district to provide teacher housing, whether district owned, leased, rented, or through other means,
nor does it require a school board to engage in a subsidy program of any kind regarding teacher housing;
- (9) train persons required to report under AS 47.17.020
, in the recognition and reporting of child abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse of a minor;
- (10) provide for the development and implementation of a preventative maintenance program for school facilities; in this
paragraph, "preventative maintenance" means scheduled maintenance actions that prevent the premature failure or extend
the useful life of a facility, or a facility's systems and components, and that are cost-effective on a life-cycle
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.