Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 12. Code of Criminal Procedure
- Chapter 47. Insanity and Competency to Stand Trial
- Section 120. Determination of Sanity After Commitment.
previous: Section 110
. Commitment On Finding of Incompetency.
next: Section 130
AS 12.47.120. Determination of Sanity After Commitment.
- (a) When, in the medical judgment of the custodian of an accused person committed under AS 12.47.110
, the accused is considered to be mentally competent to stand trial, the committing court shall hold a hearing, after
due notice, as soon as conveniently possible. At the hearing, evidence as to the mental condition of the accused may
be submitted including reports by the custodian to whom the accused was committed for care.
- (b) If at the hearing the court determines that the accused is presently mentally competent to understand the nature of
the proceedings against the accused and to assist in the accused's own defense, appropriate criminal proceedings may be
commenced against the accused.
- (c) If at the hearing the court determines that the accused is still presently mentally incompetent, the court shall
recommit the accused in accordance with AS 12.47.110
- (d) A finding by the court that the accused is mentally competent to stand trial in no way prejudices the accused in a
defense based on mental disease or defect excluding responsibility. This finding may not be introduced in evidence on
that issue or otherwise brought to the notice of the jury.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.