Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 12. Code of Criminal Procedure
- Chapter 20. Bars to Actions
- Section 50. Dismissal as Bar.
previous: Section 40
. When Conviction or Acquittal is a Bar to Other Offenses.
next: Section 60
. Discharge of Codefendant as Bar.
AS 12.20.050. Dismissal as Bar.
- (a) It is a bar to another prosecution for the same crime if the crime is a misdemeanor, but it is not a bar if the crime
charged is a felony when a person is
- (1) held to answer to the grand jury and the court dismisses the charge before the case is presented to the grand jury
upon the motion of the prosecuting attorney;
- (2) held to answer to the grand jury and the court dismisses the charge because the indictment is not found against the
person at the next session of the grand jury; or
- (3) indicted for a crime and the indictment is dismissed because the trial is not held within a reasonable period of time,
there is not good cause shown for the delay, and the delay was not upon the application of the defendant or with the
- (b) Unless the court directs a judgment of acquittal to be entered, it is not a bar to another action for the same crime
if the court orders an indictment to be discharged because the prosecuting attorney is not prepared to go to trial when
the indictment is called for trial and does not show sufficient cause for postponing the trial.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.