Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 11. Criminal Law
- Chapter 81. General Provisions
- Section 410. Justification: Use of Force By Guards.
previous: Section 400
. Justification: Use of Force in Resisting or Interfering With Arrest.
next: Section 420
. Justification: Performance of Public Duty.
AS 11.81.410. Justification: Use of Force By Guards.
- (a) In addition to using force justified under other sections of this chapter, a guard or peace officer employed in a
correctional facility may, if authorized by regulations adopted by the Department of Corrections, use nondeadly force
upon another person when and to the extent reasonably necessary and appropriate to maintain order.
- (b) Except as provided in (c) of this section, a guard or peace officer employed in a correctional facility or a peace
officer in the immediate vicinity of a correctional facility at the time of an escape from the facility may use deadly
force when and to the extent the guard or peace officer reasonably believes it necessary to terminate the escape or
attempted escape of a prisoner from the correctional facility.
- (c) The use of deadly force under (b) of this section is not justified if the guard or peace officer knows that the
prisoner was under official detention in the correctional facility on a charge of a misdemeanor and does not believe
that the prisoner is armed with a firearm, in which event only nondeadly force may be used.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.