Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 10. Corporations and Associations
- Chapter 6. Alaska Corporations Code
- Section 970. Rules of Construction and Interpretation.
previous: Section 968
next: Section 990
AS 10.06.970. Rules of Construction and Interpretation.
Unless a provision or the context otherwise requires, the following general provisions and rules of construction govern
- (1) title, chapter, article, and section headings do not affect the scope, meaning, or intent of the provisions of this
- (2) when, by the provisions of this chapter, a power is granted to, or a duty imposed upon, a public officer, the power
may be exercised or the duty performed by a deputy of the officer or by a person authorized, under law, by the officer,
unless this chapter expressly provides otherwise;
- (3) when a notice, report, statement, or record is required or authorized by this chapter, it shall be made in writing in
a manner reasonably calculated to communicate the notice, report, statement, or record to the recipient;
- (4) a reference in this chapter to mailing means first-class mail, postage prepaid, unless certified mail is specified;
certified mail includes registered mail;
- (5) subject to a specific accounting treatment required by a particular section of this chapter,
- (A) references in this chapter to financial statements, balance sheets, income statements, and statements of changes in
financial position of a corporation and references to assets, liabilities, earnings, retained earnings, and similar
accounting items of a corporation mean financial statements or items prepared fairly and reasonably to present the
- (B) financial statements prepared or determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles then
applicable are fair and reasonable;
- (C) references in this chapter to financial statements mean, in the case of a corporation that has subsidiaries,
consolidated statements of the corporation and its subsidiaries, and all references to accounting items mean items
determined on a consolidated basis in accordance with consolidated financial statements;
- (6) a reference in this chapter to the time a notice is given or sent means, unless otherwise expressly provided, the time
a written notice by mail is deposited in the United States mail, postage prepaid; or the time any other written notice
is personally delivered to the recipient or is delivered to a common carrier for transmission, or actually transmitted
by electronic means to the recipient by the person giving the notice; or the time an oral notice is communicated in
person or by electronic means to the recipient or to a person at the office of the recipient whom the person giving the
notice has reason to believe will promptly communicate it to the recipient;
- (7) when reference is made to any portion of this chapter or of any other law of this state, the reference applies to all
amendments and additions;
- (8) "shall" is mandatory, "may" is permissive, and "may not" is prohibitory.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.