Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 8. Business and Professions
- Chapter 24. Collection Agencies
- Section 90. License Required.
previous: Section 80
. [Repealed, Sec. 3 Ch 101 SLA 1968].
next: Section 100
. Licensed Operator Required, Exceptions and Fee.
AS 08.24.090. License Required.
- (a) A person other than a collection agency licensed and authorized under this chapter may not for compensation
- (1) conduct a collection agency business in this state;
- (2) collect claims for others in this state;
- (3) solicit the right to collect or receive payment of a claim for another;
- (4) advertise or solicit either in print, by letter, in person or otherwise, the right to collect or receive payment of a
claim for another;
- (5) seek to make collection or obtain payment of a claim on behalf of another.
- (b) This chapter does not apply to the following when engaged in the regular course of their respective businesses:
- (1) attorneys at law;
- (2) persons regularly employed on a regular wage or salary in the capacity of credit men or a similar capacity, except as
an independent contractor;
- (3) banks, including trust departments of banks, fiduciaries and financing and lending institutions;
- (4) common carriers;
- (5) title insurers and abstract companies while doing an escrow business;
- (6) licensed real estate brokers;
- (7) employees of licensees under this chapter;
- (8) substation payment offices employed by or serving as independent contractors for public utilities.
- (c) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a jail for not to exceed one year, or by a
fine of not more than $1,000, or by both.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.