Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 5. Amusements and Sports
- Chapter 45. Ski Liability, Safety, and Responsibility
- Section 50. Required Signs For Tramways; Duties of Operators.
previous: Section 40
. Required Plan and Patrol By Ski Area Operators.
next: Section 60
. Required Signs For Trails and Slopes; Duties of Operators.
AS 05.45.050. Required Signs For Tramways; Duties of Operators.
- (a) A ski area operator who operates a tramway shall maintain a sign system with concise, simple, and pertinent
information for the protection and instruction of passengers. Signs shall be prominently placed on each tramway,
readable in conditions of ordinary visibility, and where applicable adequately lighted for nighttime passengers. Signs
shall be posted
- (1) at or near the loading point of each tramway, regardless of the type, advising that a person not familiar with the
operation of the device must ask the operator of the device for assistance and instruction;
- (2) in the interior of each two-car and multicar tramway showing
- (A) the maximum capacity in pounds of the car and the maximum number of passengers allowed;
- (B) instructions for procedures in emergencies;
- (3) in a conspicuous place at each loading area of two-car and multicar tramways stating the maximum capacity in pounds of
the car and the maximum number of passengers allowed;
- (4) at all chair lifts stating the following:
- (A) "Prepare to Unload," which shall be located not less than 50 feet ahead of the unloading area;
- (B) "Keep Ski Tips Up," which shall be located ahead of any point where the skis may come in contact with a platform or
the snow surface;
- (C) "Unload Here," which shall be located at the point designated for unloading;
- (D) "Stop Gate," which shall be located where applicable;
- (E) "Remove Pole Straps from Wrists," which shall be located prominently at each loading area;
- (F) "Check for Loose Clothing and Equipment," which shall be located before the "Prepare to Unload" sign;
- (5) at all J-bars, T-bars, platter pulls, rope tows, and any other surface lift, stating the following:
- (A) "Remove Pole Straps from Wrists," which shall be placed at or near the loading area;
- (B) "Stay in Tracks," "Unload Here," and "Safety Gate," which shall be located where applicable;
- (C) "Prepare to Unload," which shall be located not less than 50 feet ahead of each unloading area;
- (6) near the boarding area of all J-bars, T-bars, platter pulls, rope tows, and any other surface lift, advising
passengers to check to be certain that clothing, scarves, and hair will not become entangled with the lift;
- (7) at or near the boarding area of all lifts, stating the skier's duty set out in AS 05.45.100
- (b) Signs not specified by (a) of this section may be posted at the discretion of the ski area operator.
- (c) A ski area operator, before opening the tramway to the public each day, shall inspect the tramway for the presence and
visibility of the signs required by (a) of this section.
- (d) A ski area operator shall post and maintain signs that are required by (a) of this section in a manner that they may
be viewed during conditions of ordinary visibility.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.