Click on "hot spots" for current tenants' websites!
The Alaska Building was built in 1915 as one of Anchorage's first concrete buildings. Located on the corner of 4th and G Street next to the former Empress Theatre, the Alaska Building originally functioned as a home to a music shop, a physician, a bank, and a law office. In 1923 the property was bought by J.B. (Jake) Gottstein who added two floors to the portion of the building that fronted on G Street during World War II. Part of the addition was used as his residence and the rest was used as warehouse space for J. B. Gottstein Co. Wholesale Groceries. Jake's grandson Jim purchased the Alaska Building in June 1995, from his father, B.J. (Barney) Gottstein, thus being the third generation Gottstein to own the building.
The building has had a continual stream of occupants since its earliest days, and remains centrally located within the heart of downtown Anchorage, Alaskas largest city. Today, the Alaska Building is used by a variety of Anchorage businesses. On the ground floor is a collection of fine retail establishments. Suzis' Woollies is a purveyor of woollen sweaters and Celtic gifts from the British Isles. Katie Sevigny Studio, specializing in the capture of the vibrancy and life that Alaska offers. Tuliqi, collection for bedroom and bathroom inspired by the beauty of wild earth.) Tracy Anna Baders Denali Wear features handmade, original design "wearable art" outdoor clothing. The Alaska Ivory Exchange has fine ivory sculptures and other quality jewelry and art. If you want a snack to go, Pils Deli offers donuts, coffee, sandwiches, soups and soft drinks. Side Street Espresso offers a classic coffee house menu in a relaxed setting and showcases local artists' work, while Pil's Deli offers a quick take-out meal at a great value.
The upstairs office space is home to the Alaska World Affairs Council, the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein and Touch N' Go Systems, Inc who co-sponsor the world famous AlaskaCam and Alaska Legal Resource Center.
Copyright 1995-2008 by Touch N' Go
Photo courtesy of the Anchorage Museum of History and Art.